The most important things ...
Harvesting is the last and most crucial stage in the garden. The final result of all the work done during the year depends on how the grown fruits will be laid for storage. Vegetables will fade from excessive heat or rot from dampness - all in vain ... Every good step is thought out by a good owner when harvesting. Beginners should pay attention to the following:
- roots - beets, carrots, turnips, radishes, radishes, daikon - do not remove until the storage is cold enough: the best time to harvest them is from mid-October. Carefully cut the dug out root crops, keeping the petiole rosette, wipe off the ground and take it away to the store as soon as possible:
- for cleaning potato Select sunny weather to plant seed tubers throughout the Buildings. Harvesting time depends on the weather: in prolonged rainy weather, tubers can rot in the ground, therefore, potatoes should be harvested in September;
- pumpkins, squash, zucchiniintended for long storage, keep on the bed to the limit, that is, until the first frost breaks the foliage (it does not harm the fruit) Fruits with hard, stiff skin can be transferred to the room in early September;
- cauliflower, brussels sprouts and white cabbage, as well as kohlrabi can pour all of October, until the first snow. However, severe freezing (frost at night below minus 7-10 ° C) can damage them;
- tomatoes in a greenhouse (in open ground they must be cleaned before September) with constant ventilation, they can ripen throughout September;
- check the condition of the ears of corn, this plant is not afraid of the September frosts, and the ears can ripen until October, but as soon as they reach milky-wax ripeness, remove and use for food;
- do not be late for harvesting garlicotherwise the bulbs will crumble in the ground into segments.
It is worth taking care of the harvest of next year:
- winter garlic plant slices from mid-September to early October;
- leave some root vegetables parsley and celery in the garden for early spring greens;
- in early September can sow the seeds of parsley, celery, sorrelso that they have time to climb before winter. Then the harvest next year will ripen much earlier.
Current work in the garden
- Apple tree pear. During the collection of fruits, remove tops overgrown during the summer from the trunks, pinch the large shoots left for better ripening. To accelerate the fruiting of the “fattening” trees, chop the roots with grooves at a distance of about 1.5 m from the trunk.
- Strawberries. Conduct a selection of remontant strawberries: remove bushes that gave few berries in August and September, the next year you will receive a mustache only from fruitful plants. Do not harvest seeds from autumn berries: the strongest seedlings are obtained from the berries of the first, summer, crop.
- Plum, cherry plum. Before you start harvesting, inspect the crown: the oldest branches (with weak growths, clumsy, on which there are few leaves and no fruits), immediately cut.
- Cherry. The trees and bushes that you tilt to the ground for the winter in 2-3 sets (as well as peach, cherry), bend to half and secure.
- Raspberry. Remove fruit-bearing shoots as early as possible. In young green shoots, pinch the tops. Take a strong shoot to a new place.
- Currants, gooseberries. Assess the condition of each bush: remove the most frail or sick under the root with a sharpened shovel. At the remaining bushes, cut 1-2 the oldest branches and immediately burn. Do not plant young seedlings from cuttings in the place of the removed bushes - lay the berry in a new place.